(Please read below before submittinig an application)
Volunteers help create a fun, clean, and safe weekend for all Sally Gap Bluegrass Festival fans and performers. They work in the following crews: gate, information booth, parking, hospitality, showers, trash, wrist-band check, and children's activities. At Sally Gap, your work as a volunteer is appreciated by Sally organizers and the fans. Please read the rest of this page to make sure volunteering is for you.
- ALL VOLUNTEERS must submit an application EVERY YEAR. Priority is given to returning volunteers on a first-come, first-served basis. Sally Crews fill-up quickly, so apply early.
- You must be able to work a 3-hour shift.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 18!
- Volunteers are assigned to their crew by the Volunteer Coordinator. Sally Gap will try to accommodate crew/time preferences, but this is not always possible.
- Schedules are arranged by your Sally Crew Chief. Most volunteers work one 3-hour shift each day. Most crew chiefs will allow you to trade shifts with a fellow crew member, if mutually agreeable.
- Most crews require some physical activity, so know your limitations. Also, most crews work out in the weather, so be ready for anything.
- We reserve the right to accept only volunteers that reflect our philosophy, values, and standards. Volunteering is not always right for Sally Gap or for you. In some cases, we may suggest you purchase a ticket and enjoy the show.
Volunteer Appreciation Package:
In return for satisfactory service at the Sally Gap Bluegrass Festival, our volunteers receive:
- Admission to the festival the day they work.
- FREE rough camping the night they work.
- Volunteer t-shirt, to be worn while working.
- Drinks/snacks while working (for volunteers only, not other family members).
To keep volunteer status, volunteers must:
- Treat fans, guests, performers, and other volunteers courteously at all times.
- Arrive for their shift on-time.
- Complete all shifts assigned by their Sally Crew Chief.
- Arrive for their shift completely sober and ready to help.
- Wear volunteer shirt while on duty.
- Be a team player. Be ready to give a little extra if needed.
Failure to comply with any of these requirements may result in the dismissal of the volunteer and the revocation of their festival admission and camping privileges.
How to Apply:
Each potential Sally Crew member that fills out the online form will receive an e-mail letting you know it was received by the Sally Gap Volunteer Coordinator.
ALL VOLUNTEERS must fill out the online application form if they wish to be considered for a volunteer position. If you are unable to apply online you can download a printable form and mail it to the Volunteer Coordinator at the address found at the bottom of this page. Online applications get the quickest response.
- Use one form per person. Note age restrictions for volunteering.
- Answer all questions. Incomplete forms cannot be accepted.
- If you wish to work with a friend/family member, use the notes section to let us know. We'll do our best to accommodate your request.
ALL online applicants will receive a confirmation e-mail stating that the form has been received. Mail-in applicants will receive a phone call or letter.
Applicants might receive a follow-up phone call from the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss your expectations and experience, suitability and availability, and crew choice.
Based on festival needs, not everyone who applies can be accepted. Some crews have special requirements, fill-up early with veterans, or have no openings. Be sure you read the list of crews above, and then list three different crew preferences so you have the best chance of being accepted. Be flexible, and we can usually find a place for you.
If you have questions about volunteering, please email them to:
Kathy Hamblin, Sally Gap Bluegrass Festival Volunteer Coordinator.
Or write to Kathy at Sally Crew Headquarters, 319 Chestnut Street, Berea, KY 40403
Sally Gap Bluegrass Festival Committee